Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Because I've been MIA/Break from academic fun/Random thoughts

I think I listen to music the most when I'm at school. I'm one of those people who always listen to music while studying/reading/doing work. ...I'm pretty sure that it probably inhibits my ability to do any of those things to my full potential. But at the same time, it's what I'm used to! Without music, sudying/reading/doing work would seem weird.

So right now I'm taking a break from my first "long night" of the semester. Sometimes I'll set my iTunes to shuffle, which makes a nice mix (of course! it's taken from my own library), but most of the time I'll listen to full albums from beginning to end. There are very few albums that I can appreciate from beginning to the end, but those that I listen to are my favorites. I'll probably list those sometime soon. There's something very cool feeling about being a music fan and just "getting" an artist's specific vision -- you know, when you can connect with a whole album and understand the statement/idea that it is expressing. It's all about the flow. I sound like a sensitive weirdo hippie.

Sort of along the same lines, I've recently started to see a trend in the kind of music that I'm lured to these days. I seem to like really narrative-y, story-driven, lyrics-heavy, simplistic-instrumental but complex-arranged music. Does that make sense? And now that I think of it, if all those metrics were met, technically I should love Country music. But what really comes to mind are singer-songwriters (bleh), Sufjan Stevens (of course), Iron & Wine, and Laura Viers, among others. I guess you could categorize it as part of the neo-folk revolution. Or chamber pop? Orch pop? I have no idea.

In other news, I had been searching for a piano teacher (in an effort to continue my emotional and musical education) only to find ... not much. Also, I just found out the monetary/retail value of a grand piano (a lot more than I thought) in my strategy & policy class, a course that devotes nothing to music or fine arts. This partly influenced my decision to find a piano teacher (because now I feel like I haven't used my piano at home to its full potential).

No comments: